Which artists were ahead of their time
Heinrich Nauen: The Music, 1914
Johan Thorn Prikker: Lute Player, 1914
Heinrich Campendonk: Two acts, 1913
November 18, 2018– March 10, 2019, Clemens Sels Museum Neuss
Heinrich Campendonk, Heinrich Nauen and Johan Thorn Prikker wanted to achieve a fusion of fine and applied art, and with this objective they anticipated one of the central ideas of the Bauhaus: paintings and drawings on the one hand, textiles, furniture, murals, mosaics and glass windows for private, profane and ecclesiastical buildings on the other hand bear witness to this intense striving for the "total work of art".
From November 18, 2018 to March 10, 2019, the Clemens Sels Museum Neuss will show in its exhibition “Ahead of your time! Heinrich Campendonk - Heinrich Nauen - Johann Thorn Prikker «over 175 selected works by the controversial artists of their time - including prominent loans from public and private collections at home and abroad. It becomes clear that the Rhineland - and with it the city of Neuss - became a nucleus of the international modern art scene.
Heinrich Campendonk (1889–1957), his Dutch teacher Johan Thorn Prikker (1868–1932) and Heinrich Nauen (1880–1940) were friends all their lives. All three were based on French modernism and the work of Vincent van Gogh. They followed the current art debates very closely, because the French-inspired painting and thus also their own expressionistic formal language met with broad rejection. Meanwhile, the three versatile artists were emphatically supported in their search for the "Gesamtkunstwerk" by a small circle of prominent sponsors, consisting of museum directors, collectors, gallery owners and art critics, so that a Rhenish network emerged that even survived the Second World War. Peter Behrens (1868–1940) also played an important role in this development. As an architect, painter and pioneer of modern industrial design - like Campendonk, Thorn Prikker and Nauen - he was ahead of his time and will therefore be given a proper place in the new exhibition.
The works of Heinrich Nauens, who lived temporarily in Neuss in his later years, Johan Thorn Prikkers and the former "Blue Rider" Heinrich Campendonk take pride of place in the collection of the Clemens Sels Museum. Thorn Prikker, whose saint Julian always casts a spell over visitors, is spread across the city, so to speak: After Peter Behrens had designed the Catholic journeyman's house for Neuss, Thorn Prikker was commissioned to design the interior of the house chapel in 1910; and a year later he was given the task of creating five choir and four transept windows for the Neuss Dreikönigenkirche - which started a dispute about modernism that had lasted for years.
With the presentation, the Clemens Sels Museum Neuss, as the official project partner, is making a contribution to the NRW-wide celebrations for the Bauhaus anniversary "100 years of Bauhaus in the west" of the LVR.
CLEMENS SELS MUSEUM NEUSS
Am Obertor, 41460 Neuss
Opening times: Tuesday to Saturday 11 am to 5 pm and Sunday and public holidays 11 am to 6 pm
TIP: Admission is free every first Sunday of the month!
Further information: www.clemens-sels-museum-neuss.de
- Why do evil narcissists talk so quickly?
- Why didn't Indian films win an Oscar?
- Why don't people like arrogant people
- How to make a chili dog
- What does drama mean to you
- How are C arrays implemented internally
- Would you let someone judge you?
- Why do you love your career
- How does overpopulation affect everyone?
- What is really brainwashing
- God punishes people who commit suicide
- What is the world religion
- Why do mavericks consume so much memory
- Which TV series has great production values
- What are aminophospholipids
- Why is EBITDA so important to investors
- Shows creation on a creator
- Which city connects Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh
- What is the humanitarian crisis in Aleppo
- Are the Taliban just Pashtun nationalists?
- Does LightEyez work
- Dhruv Rathee has officially joined NDTV
- What is storytelling
- Which English words came from India
- When was the height of the Mafia
- Who killed Gauri Lankesh
- What is stock market trading
- What color are Lady Gaga's eyes
- When did the Chinese start using pinyin?
- What factors affect diffusion
- Would JYP accept a black girl
- How can we say about in Telugu
- Demonetization Did it have the desired effect