Closing your eyes will help you relax
Treat yourself to eye wellness
In our digital age, eyes rarely have a break from screen work. Laptop, smartphone, television - something always flickers before our eyes. And that's why dry, burning, aching eyes, tense necks and headaches have also become widespread diseases.
Our eyes are actually designed to absorb reflected light, not to stare at a backlit screen all the time. And the stare should be taken literally, because instead of the usual 15 blinks per minute, when looking at the screen, you blink to 5 times. This creates an uncomfortable feeling of dryness in the eyes, because blinking moisturizes and cleans the eyes. The dry air prevailing in many offices also does not help to improve the symptoms.
Another shortcoming in screen work is the high consumption of rhodopsin, which is a visual pigment in the retinal cells (also called visual purple). Vitamin A is required for the formation of rhodopsin, and if the eyes are stressed, not enough of it can be reproduced.
Give your eyes necessary breaks!
The VDU work regulation stipulates a break of 10 minutes every 50 minutes. It can be assumed that this cannot be adhered to to the minute in practice. Nevertheless, if you take a break, you should definitely use it to do your eyes good instead of checking social media messages on your smartphone.
Ventilate the room well to let in oxygen-rich air. Relax your eyes while looking outside.
Train your eye muscle by repeatedly fixing an object a few meters away, for example a picture or a potted plant.
Research on the Internet which technical and qualitative requirements your workplace has to meet, also with regard to the installation of the devices. Do these specifications match your reality?
Eye wellness: this is how it works!
We have put together a few useful exercises for you to relax your eyes. The practical thing about it: You can of course also do it while sitting at your desk. Give your eyes the rest they need - they will thank you by continuing to do their job well.
- Palming: Cover your eyes with the warm palms of your hands for 15 seconds (rub your hands beforehand), keep your eyes closed while slowly loosening your hands.
- Massage the bony edge of the eye sockets for around a minute with circular movements to stimulate blood circulation.
- Also close your eyes for brief moments while working on the screen and try to continue typing blindly.
- Alternating near-far vision can also be practiced with a pen that you hold around 30 cm in front of your nose. Now alternately fix the pen and other objects that are further away.
- To relax the eye muscles, slowly roll your eyes up, down, right, and left.
- Sit upright but relaxed and close your eyes. Imagine a figure eight lying in the air. Trace these eight with rolling eyes.
Other home remedies for tired eyes:
Eat as much foods as possible that contain vitamin A to help the body produce rhodopsin. Carrots and asparagus should often be on the menu. Beta-carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants are also important for eye health!
Treat your eyes to compresses with eyebright tea: 1 teaspoon eyebright on a cup of boiling water, let steep for 8 minutes, strain and let cool. Put the lukewarm tea on a cotton ball and place on the closed eyelids for ten minutes.
In the workplace, eyes should not be exposed to drafts from air conditioning. If the air is very dry, there should be a humidifier in the room. Fish oil capsules can increase the production of tear fluid.
Alternatively, it helps in the office to moisten a cotton cloth with warm water and place it briefly on the eyelids.
By the way, you will find other relevant articles on our blog, including on the question of whether reading in the dark harms our eyes.
- What is human suffering
- Is abc news fake news
- Which 5 countries have beautiful cultures
- What are 10 examples of common times
- Hinduism discriminates against the lower castes
- How do companies use current assets
- What fascinates a person
- Maori is a polysynthetic language
- What is property tax
- What is a social science perspective
- What do Kashmiris and Pathans look like
- Who wrote the song My Way
- What are good alternative Christmas tree ideas
- Where does Pakistan test its atomic bombs
- Balochistan becomes independent
- Alcohol can blind you
- Are there gays in India
- Which state is totally against the BJP
- Do you sing while you drive
- Is war necessary for human development?
- What is credit write off
- Why were the ancient Egyptians so slim
- Do the Turks know something about Bangladesh