Great Britain is an archipelago
British Islands is a common name for an archipelago in northwestern Europe. The islands include the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Hebrides, Shetland, Orkney, the Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly, Anglesey, and the Isle of Wight. There are 73 million people in the British Isles, 68 million people in the United Kingdom and 5 million people in the Republic of Ireland.
The designation British For political, historical and cultural reasons, islands have only a low degree of selectivity. On the one hand, it is politically controversial whether the island of Ireland should be added to the British Isles, although it is geographically part of the archipelago. On the other hand, the Channel Islands located in the English Channel, which are geographically included in mainland Europe, are counted among the British Isles for political reasons.
The history of the term British Islands seems up to a label pretan islands dating back to antiquity, although this term was not particularly fluent. The reintroduction of the term was not least related to the territorial expansionism of the English and British crowns.
Including Ireland and excluding the Channel Islands, the archipelago comprises around 6000 islands with a total area of 315,134 km².
The inclusion of the island of Ireland in the British Isles is controversial as it calls into question the sovereignty of the Republic of Ireland in the view of many Irish and in part also the Irish government and is a misleading label with regard to Ireland's historical and cultural identity.
This is justified inter alia. with the similarity of the names British Islands and Great Britain (mainly English-British Isles and English-British). The similarity is not surprising, since the name of the archipelago is derived from the name of its largest island. In addition, the state will United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland colloquially often as Great Britain refers to what at least not contradicts a complete state affiliation of the British Isles to the United Kingdom.
In Ireland, therefore, the term British Isles and Ireland or. Great Britain and Ireland (engl. Britain and Ireland) naturalized.
The growing familiarity of the latter term raises the question of whether an archipelago name as such is useful at all. For example, in the case of Corsica and Sardinia, no archipelago name is used.
Dominions in the territory of the British Isles
- High Kingship of Ireland, to 1169
- British tribes, up to about 70
- Pictland, until the 9th century
- Roman Britannia.43 to about 410
- Independent British and Welsh principalities, from the 5th century to 1283
- Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, 5th century to 10th century
- Kingdom of Scotland, 843 to 1651 and 1660 to 1707
- Kingdom of England, 774 to 1536
- Lordship of Ireland 1171 to 1541
- Principality of Wales, 1267 to 1542
- Kingdom of England and Wales, 1536 to 1649 and 1660 to 1707
- Kingdom of Ireland, 1541 to 1649 and 1660 to 1800
- Commonwealth and Free State of England, Wales and Ireland, 1649 to 1654
- Commonwealth of Great Britain and Ireland, 1654 to 1660
- Kingdom of Great Britain, 1707 to 1800
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, 1801 to 1922
- Irish Free State / Republic of Ireland, since 1922
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, since 1922
- ↑ "British Isles", Encyclopædia Britannica.
- ↑ An Irishman’s Diary. Myers, Kevin; The Irish Times (subscription needed) 09/03/2000, accessed July 2006 “millions of people from these islands - oh how angry we get when people call them the British Isles”.
- ↑The Times: “New atlas lets Ireland slip shackles of Britain”.
- ↑ Written Answers - Official Terms (Memento of the original from October 6, 2012 in Internet Archive) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.@ 1 @ 2 Template: Webachiv / IABot / www.oireachtas-debates.gov.ie
54-4 Coordinates: 54 ° 0 ′ 0 ″ N, 4 ° 0 ′ 0 ″ W.
- China can buy all of the Philippines
- Why do designers use prototypes
- How do people develop a hunched back
- How did Transylvania lose its independence?
- Halloween is satanic
- What are some ideas for TV network names
- We live in a narcissistic society
- Sai Baba is a scam
- Why are Bentleys and Rolls Royce handcrafted
- How do I pay LTT in Karnataka
- What does salut ca va mean?
- What were the best tweet wars
- How do I start exporting LED light
- How can I download Wistia videos
- People like old Hindi songs now
- Was Hitler a Christian extremist
- Well who is the leader of EXO
- What is the coldest city in Pakistan
- What do corporate strategy teams do
- Redding CA is on fire
- McDonalds is a dying company
- Why is embryonic stem cell research wrong?
- Who declared Sunday a public holiday
- New Zealand experienced rationing during World War II
- Have pigeon eyelids
- Will my girlfriend get pregnant 1
- Why is Voellerei considered a sin
- Which is the category of Vokkaliga
- Did the people of Pakistan like India
- When does Expo 2020 Dubai start?
- Why do you choose life over death?
- Why are female superhero films rarely successful
- Is Nepal democratic
- What are examples of a good dating label