Is marijuana harmful to adults?
How harmful is cannabis to the brain?
There are a large number of partly contradicting research results on this question. For this reason, researchers at the Center for Medical Cannabis Research at the University of California compiled and analyzed all available research results on neurocognitive effects (effects on the brain) in long-term users in 2003
Few studies provide reliable results
Of the 1,014 identified studies that examined neurocognitive functions in cannabis users, only 15 studies were able to meet methodological criteria that produced reliable results. These 15 studies include 704 long-term cannabis users and 408 non-users. In the neurocognitive studies z. B. examines reaction time, learning ability, memory and attention.
No brain damage - but impaired learning and memory performance
After summarizing and analyzing all study results, the researchers come to the conclusion that no substantial losses in cognitive brain functions can be found. However, there were slight losses in the areas of learning ability and memory. “Surprisingly, we found hardly any evidence of harmful effects (related to brain performance). The only exception is an extremely small effect when learning new information, "said Prof. Igor Grant, head of the study. The limitations of the brain performance found cannot actually be attributed to cannabis with absolute certainty, since the users may also have previous loads - e .g previous use of other drugs.
The brains of children and teenagers are more vulnerable
Grant advises that the results apply to adults only. It must be assumed that the developing brain of children and adolescents is much more vulnerable and that harmful effects of cannabis use cannot be ruled out.
What about your cannabis use? Do you have everything under control? Or are you unsure sometimes?
Test yourself here
- How good is Garuda Indonesia
- How many shares will a company have
- What is a good starter revolver
- Which is Britain's oldest university
- What is inequality in society
- How important are looks to a woman
- Why was Picasso so bad at observation
- Do I look like my ethnicity?
- How did Trinidad and Tobago become a republic?
- Lal Krishna Advani is a Brahmin
- Can speak Prabhas Hindi
- What does an emotionless face look like
- Is Paul Krugman degenerate
- Where are all the marathi
- How does the police helpline number 100 work?
- How was the Treaty of Versailles created
- What makes an independent woman?
- Which business has replaced the selling of newspapers?
- What are the different types of monomers
- How is added value created
- Why can Australia swim so well
- What is flat glass
- Why do civilizations develop religion
- What are Chinese exports sharply declining