What is the importance of the airways
The lining of the respiratory tract
We breathe in and out about 20,000 times a day. With every breath, numerous tiny dust particles and droplets, irritating pollutants and microscopic pathogens (bacteria, fungi or viruses) can get into the airways. For this reason, the entire respiratory tract (except for the throat, epiglottis and vocal cords) is lined with a highly specialized mucous membrane that is supposed to protect our respiratory organs from harmful substances.
The mucous membrane in the airways consists of what is known as the ciliated epithelium. It is a real carpet of millions of cells with flexible hairs, the cilia. In between there are individual, mucus-forming goblet cells. These produce a watery, transparent mucus that lies over the cellular carpet and thus wets the entire surface of the mucous membrane and keeps it constantly moist. In this protective film, the cilia move like waves in the direction of the throat, beating continuously about 1000 times per minute. In the windpipe speeds of up to 1 cm per minute are achieved. Small particles (such as dust particles and bacteria) stick to the moist mucous membrane and are then transported upwards towards the throat by the rhythmically beating cilia, like on a conveyor belt. Once in the throat, the foreign substances bound in the mucus are then usually involuntarily swallowed down into the stomach. Only when the function of the cilia is disturbed or destroyed (e.g. due to cigarette smoking or a flu-like infection) does a more frequent cough occur, which takes over the bronchial cleaning as a replacement motor.
- Why do people believe in cultural relativism
- When does Marxism essentially become political correctness?
- Why did the Democratic South become a Republican?
- What is the top hit song by The Hollies
- What causes a honking cough in dogs
- Where does theosophy belong in today's society?
- When was the height of the Mafia
- Why is there Japan
- What is Boy George's most successful song
- How old is Virat Kohli
- Who will lose the most from Brexit?
- How judgmental are you
- What is IIT and JEE
- How is indigenous Australian music
- So Arvind Kejriwal is now done
- Which is the most dangerous disease of the eye
- Why can't I stop watching Korean drama?
- Why don't aliens contact us
- Why are people creative
- Are the Kurds strict Muslims
- What are you deliberately ignoring
- Who are Salman Khan's sisters
- What are American values
- Who actually ruled India before sultans?
- What is the plural of cattle
- Why are many highly intelligent people sarcastic
- How Turkish was the Ottoman Empire
- How much cold can a Labrador endure
- What is an unpresented check
- Does Russia have states like the USA
- What is landfill methane
- Why are most programmers white men?
- Does your state have a nickname?