Which country do the Armenians admire most?
Armenia - Adventure between Ararat and the Caucasus
- Admire fascinating ski mountains in the "Land of Stones"
- Climb to the Aragats (4,006 m) - the smaller neighbor of the Turkish Ararat
- Marvel at the wonderful landscapes east of Turkey
- Visit churches, cathedrals and UNESCO-protected monasteries
- Enjoy culture and hospitality in the oldest Christian country on earth
- Feel like a ski mountaineering pioneer
- Start the not particularly long flight home with great memories of Armenia
This trip is organized by the tour operator "Bergspechte Outdoor-Reisen und Alpinschule Edi Koblmüller GmbH", Linz / Austria (Hauser Alpin), a subsidiary of Hauser Exkursionen international GmbH, Munich.
For all inquiries, booking requests etc. please send a message directly to [email protected]
Day 1: Night flight to Armenia
Our Armenia adventure can begin - we fly to the capital Yerevan, near the border with Eastern Turkey, at night.
Day 2: Arrival and sightseeing in Yerevan
Pick-up and transfer to our hotel. After a late breakfast we take an approx. 2-hour tour of the city center and can see the Armenian capital (950 m) from above from a vantage point. In good weather you can see Mount Ararat with its white snow cap in the distance! We learn a lot of interesting facts during a visit to the Matenadaran Museum - a library with around 14,000 old Armenian manuscripts. The genocide museum with the memorial is next on the program. In the afternoon we drive to Echmiadzin and visit the cathedral (UNESCO World Heritage Site), the Church of St. Hripsime and on the return trip the Zvartnots Temple, also classified by UNESCO as a cultural heritage site. In the evening we dine in a restaurant - let yourself be surprised by the traditional Armenian cuisine!
Day 3: Ski tour on Mt. Hatis and visit to the sun temple Garni Pagan
Early departure! We drove to the village of Kotayk (1,565 m), the starting point of our first ski tour on Mt. Hatis (2,529 m). On the way back to Yerevan we stop in Garni, the former seat of the Armenian kings, and visit the Hellenistic temple (1st century AD).
Day 4: Ski tour on Mt. Tezhler
Even today we get up early and drive to the village of Margahovit (1,830 m) in the Lori region. Our ski tour takes us here today to Mt. Tezhler (3,101 m). After the tour, a nice drive to the neat little town of Dilijan, where we will also spend the night.
Day 5: Lake Sevan and return to Yerevan
Our return journey to the Armenian capital leads along the approx. 1,900 m high Lake Sevan. With its 940 km², approx. 78 km in length and 56 km in width, it is not only the largest freshwater lake in Armenia, but also in the Caucasus. A visit takes us to the Sevanavank monastery (9th century). Originally the monastery, consisting of three churches, stood on an island in the lake, but today it is on a peninsula due to the lower water level. In Yerevan we visit the Museum of History. Before dinner, we test the region's wine and brandy in the "Erivan Brandy Factory".
Day 6: Ski tour in the Geghama Mountains
We drive to the village of Sevaberd (approx. 1,560 m), the starting point of our ski tour to one of the peaks of Mt. Geghmakhan (3,220 m).
Day 7: Drive to Aragats and climb to Cosmic Ray Station
After breakfast we drive from Yerevan to the weather station station I (about 2,200 m). From here we ski up to our guest house, the starting point for the ski tour on the Aragats. We also carry the luggage for the overnight stay ourselves. After reaching the Cosmic Ray Station (Station II) at an altitude of 3,100 m, we occupy our beds in the station's guest house. Up here it is usually not very warm, so a warm sleeping bag is recommended! We go to bed early in order to be able to enjoy tomorrow's ski tour on the four-thousandth border.
Day 8: Aragats ski tour (4,006 m)
The western peak of the highest mountain in Armenia, the Aragats (4,006 m), is our destination for today. 100 kilometers south of us we see the extinct volcanic mountain Ararat, the highest peak in Turkey, which unfortunately has been in the crisis area for some time and is no longer allowed to be climbed. After about 5 hours of climbing we reach the summit. After the descent to the Cosmic Ray Station and a short rest, we pack the equipment we left behind (sleeping bag, toilet articles, etc.) in the backpack and continue on to Amberd. Now it's time to return to Yerevan. In the evening we meet for our farewell dinner.
Day 9: return journey
We are brought to the airport early in the morning and start our flight back to Europe.
Profile: The Aragats and Geghama Mountains are lonely and far less visited and developed than the Alps (especially for ski tourists). Requirement: Therefore, in addition to a good physical preparation, you should also bring a good portion of pioneering spirit for this tour. For medium-difficulty ski tours with four to five-hour ascents (with the exception of the ascent to the Cosmic Ray Station 7-8 hours), you need excellent fitness and safety on the ascent and on the descent. It is necessary to be able to safely master the hairpin bend technique and to be competent in skiing in all types of snow - even on steeper terrain. You should be able to prepare yourself for all possible types of snow - from powder to crust. Surefootedness in alpine terrain is necessary for the ascent to the summit and is therefore a further requirement for participating in this tour. Technical climbing knowledge is not required. Your organism should be healthy and resilient. Before starting your journey, please consult your doctor and have your cardiovascular system checked. In preparation for this tour, we recommend regular fitness training and some longer ski tours. Accommodation: You will spend the night in customary hotels and guest houses. The guest houses are very simple and have older sanitary facilities that may be outside of your room. Double rooms cannot always be guaranteed in the guest houses, overnight stays in multi-bed rooms, e.g. on the Cosmic Ray Station, are possible. Catering: The Armenian cuisine is extremely tasty and varied. You will usually receive full board during this tour. Your main baggage will be deposited at the accommodation, you will only carry your daypack with your personal equipment (with the exception of the Aragats ascent). For the ascent of the Aragat you will carry your sleeping bag and the necessary overnight utensils in your backpack to the Cosmic Ray Station. The infrastructure in general in Armenia is usually well developed. A vehicle is available to you for the journeys. Please note that the vehicles in Armenia rarely have Western European comfort and do not meet our TÜV standards.
- Passport with a copy
- Vaccination certificate
- Train ticket
- Cash, credit card, EC card (ATM)
- ETIX (electronic flight ticket)
- Hauser / Bergspechte travel documents, e.g. "My trip"
- Sports shoes
- Trekking shoes category A / B
- Ski touring boots
- Ski socks + replacement
- Trekking / mountain hiking pants
- Ski touring pants
- wind- and waterproof overpants (breathable)
- Long sleeve shirts or blouses
- Sweater or jacket (wool, fleece, softshell)
- thick down jacket (fill weight from 300 g)
- wind- and waterproof jacket (ideal: breathable)
- Underwear + replacement
- long functional underwear
- Windproof vest
- Neckerchief / scarf / buff as protection against dust or cold
- warm hat
- warm balaclava
- Sun protection for the head
- warm finger gloves
- Over gloves (wind and water resistant, e.g. Gore-Tex)
- Expedition gloves
- Glacier glasses (glasses with protection factor 3 or 4)
- Trekking or mountain backpack 40 l
- Rain cover for backpack
- Telescopic or fixed ski poles with large plates
- Ski touring skis
- Ski touring skins
- modern 3-antenna avalanche transceiver
- Avalanche shovel
- Avalanche probe
- Crampons with anti-skid plate
- Headlamp with spare batteries, luminosity at least 200 lumens
- flexible piece of luggage including a small lock
- additional small bag to store luggage
- Sleeping bag up to - 5 ° in the comfort area
- Lip balm
- Toiletry bag
- Laundry / hygiene items
- Travel alarm clock
- Personal photo equipment with enough batteries and memory cards, possibly with flash, tripod
- Handkerchiefs, wet wipes
- pocket knife
- writing utensils
- waterproof pack sack for documents
- waterproof pack sack (for an overview in luggage)
- Plastic or nylon bags for dirty laundry
- Drinking bottle or drinking system at least 1.5 liters
- Lunch box
- Replacement glasses in a shockproof case for people who wear glasses
- Multifunctional plug for country-specific sockets
- First aid kit (incl. Blister plaster, tape, disinfection)
- small first-aid kit
- important personal medication (in hand luggage: cough, headache, diarrhea, etc.)
- Mobile phone with charging cable
- Bivouac sack
- Snacks (dried fruit, chocolate, whole grain bars, energy bars, "favorite tea bags")
- Mouth and nose protection
- Hand sanitizer
- Hauser Alpin mountain and ski guide from / to Munich
- Flight from / to Munich to Yerevan
- Current airport tax, departure tax and security fees
- mostly full board
- Overnight in hotels and in a guest house in a shared room
- Support team
- Transfers / trips according to the program
- BergSpechte DankeSchön Article
- Travel sickness protection
- Flight deduction possible; Price on request
- Single room surcharge € 140.00
Services not included
- Missing meals and drinks
- Individual excursions and visits
- Ski luggage costs
- Why do designers use prototypes
- Why are there no more empires?
- Do Christians actually feel something when they pray?
- How often are you late for work
- Which site sells the cheapest used cars
- Why is he acting awkwardly around me
- How do celebrities get clear skin
- Should I learn Arabic or Chinese
- What is Stone Island
- Is tabloid journalism necessarily bad for society
- Can you marry a muslim man
- How does Bangkok entertain female tourists?
- How does rejection feel?
- Will Swach Bharat Abhiyan be successful
- How have wedding traditions changed
- Who is Anil Ambani
- What do the Turks say
- What are your favorite works of art
- Is there a bridge that is cheap
- There will be elections in 2020
- Why am I so selfish
- Is the BJP prejudiced against Hinduism
- When will Pakistan decolonize Balochistan?
- Shashi Tharoor is a womanizer