Report: Trump considers self-pardon
According to the "New York Times", US President Donald Trump should think about a self-pardon. The US newspaper relies on two anomalous sources present when it was discussed. He has been thinking about it since the presidential election in early November, it said.
According to "NYT" Trump is said to have informed his advisors several times about a possible self-pardon or asked whether he should do it and what effects such a plan would have. The report came a day after Trump supporters rushed the Capitol building, which the president had previously incited. However, it was not clear whether the attack was related to the self-pardon.
No presidency immunity
Legally, things could get uncomfortable for Trump after leaving the White House. Even before the November election, the Washington Post listed violations of campaign finance laws, corruption and obstruction of justice as possible charges. The latter is primarily aimed at the Russia investigations by FBI special investigator Robert Mueller.
Mueller found no evidence of secret agreements between the Trump camp and representatives of Russia prior to the 2016 election. However, he expressly did not exonerate Trump from the allegation of obstruction of justice. In his final report from March last year, Mueller made it clear that charges could not be brought against a president during his term in office. But he also wrote that "a president has no immunity after leaving office".
First in US history
During the Mueller investigation, Trump wrote on Twitter in June 2018: "As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to pardon myself, but why should I do that if I have done nothing wrong?" Whether Trump that actually allowed is controversial.
Self-pardon would be a first in US history. Former prosecutor Elie Honig said in a July comment for CNN that a Trump self-pardon would probably not last. Even if the president got away with it, self-pardon would have a catch: It would only apply to offenses at the federal level.
- What's the fastest ever
- What are some frozen foods for diabetics
- Are we alone 9
- Is Donald Trump ready to give up NATO?
- Where can I find grants for non-profit organizations
- Retrograde planets mean they are affected
- What is cryophobia
- Why do the eyes sometimes blur
- Which ideas can help to found a company
- What if I leave without notice
- How complex are the smallest living things
- I look forward to seeing you right
- How can I buy Vyvanse without a prescription
- Who is Elsa's sister in Frozen
- According to Christianity, there is fate
- When are shadows not seen?
- When and how did Bhindranwale die
- Why isn't Disney buying back Spider Man?
- A covert narcissist is dangerous and vengeful
- It is advisable to wear contact lenses
- Is Quora moderation fascist
- What is a good starter revolver
- Maori is a polysynthetic language
- Which are the best dividend paying stocks