Why did you buy a private jet
Free churches, private jets and modernization in Africa
He calls himself Prophet Shepherd Bushiri, is the founder of the Enlightened Christian Gathering Church and - as the richest citizen of Malawi - recently bought his third private jet.
He calls himself Prophet Shepherd Bushiri, is the founder of the Enlightened Christian Gathering Church and - as the richest citizen of Malawi - recently bought his third private jet. The Gulfstream III costs about $ 37 million. "God determines what I am," he told a journalist. "I was born a winner." He plans to set up his own bank and cell phone company in South Africa soon. When he was told on Facebook that he should use the money to help those in need instead, he replied: "When do you sell your smartphone, with which you wrote this comment, and give the money to the poor?"
Bushiri is an unpleasant phenomenon. He likes to brag about superhuman abilities. One ridiculous video is supposed to show how he is supposedly floating, another how angels appear in his church. There are many such self-proclaimed prophets in Africa, often raking in millions and luring their followers with grandiose promises and cheap miracles. Nevertheless, one can ask whether many of these Pentecostal or Evangelical churches are not making an important contribution to the development and modernization of the continent. Researchers like Peter Berger argue that these movements played a similar role in Africa as Protestantism did in 18th century Europe in the emergence of capitalism, preaching virtues such as work discipline, loyalty, celibacy, family spirit, thrift and cleanliness. From this point of view, prosperity is not reprehensible, but the heavenly reward for a godly life.
This optimistic perspective is countered by the fact that many African free churches do not focus on their own motivation, but on the contrary keep the sheep stupid and dependent, full of fatalism, full of awe of the supposedly all-powerful leader and the supernatural, full of fear of witches and demons. Sometimes - as in the case of Shepherd Bushiri's Church - progressive and regressive tendencies coexist casually.
- Introversion is a bad thing
- Why India Allowed 100 Foreign Direct Investment In Defense
- Is the daily beast reliable
- Who is an introverted Hitler or Stalin
- Is RazorPay safe
- Why do we care about the opinion of others
- Who has the most honorary doctorates
- Why are Pakistani actors so beautiful
- Is kpop respected in Korea
- Count LWPs in the notice period
- When will my gynecomastia go away?
- Is there an independent marketplace for homeowner insurance
- Who is in the UN
- Would you adopt Hitler's dog
- Why is identity politics spreading?
- Why is the Russian economy shrinking
- What are some embarrassing masturbation stories
- Which actress has the worst navel
- How is Bannerghatta National Park Bangalore
- Are Narendra Modi's speeches diatribe
- Leaders have moral obligations
- In which city is Hazratganj Chauraha located
- Which artist sang the song Leavin?
- Why do parents overreact in small things?