Can I study in Europe after graduating from high school?

7 questions about studying abroad

1. Do I also get BAföG if I don't want to study in Germany?

It is crucial whether you want to study within the EU, Switzerland or in other countries. Because if you stay there, you can get BAföG abroad for your entire course of study, i.e. Bachelor and Master. For this, it is necessary that the respective course of study is recognized in Germany. Even those who are not eligible for BAföG in Germany have a chance to receive funding when studying abroad. Whoever moves elsewhere his studies abroad can be funded with BaföG for a maximum of one year, a BAföG extension is only possible in exceptional cases.

2. Do I have to pay tuition fees in other countries?

That depends on the country you are studying, but usually they are Tuition fees abroad significantly higher than ours. In the EU, the same tuition fees apply everywhere for students from EU countries, in other countries, on the other hand, foreign students have to pay international tuition fees. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) states the following guidelines for studying abroad on its homepage: between 5,000 and 30,000 euros per academic year for a bachelor's program and between 2,500 and 60,000 euros for the entire course for a master's program

3. What about scholarships?

As a rule, there are more possibilities for a scholarship for a shorter stay abroad compared to studying abroad as a whole. Things are looking really good in the US with scholarships, only very few pay the full tuition fees there. Because there is a widespread scholarship system - for the socially disadvantaged, for gifted or successful musicians or athletes.

4. Where can I find suitable courses and which are the best universities worldwide?

On U-Multirank ( you can compare different universities around the world or look up where you can find good universities to study medicine, law or business administration. A look at the Academic Ranking of World Universities ( can't hurt either.

5. Is my Abitur sufficient for admission in all countries?

This also differs from country to country, in German-speaking countries the Abitur is usually sufficient, In foreign-language countries, a language test is also required. Many universities also require aptitude tests, entrance exams, letters of recommendation and motivation from their future students.

6. What do I have to pay particular attention to if I want to study abroad?

Anne Münkel, speaker of the DAAD campaign "go out! Studying worldwide", recommends starting your first research as early as possible - at best one and a half years in advance. Under there is a great checklist that can be ticked off point by point.

7. For whom is a complete study abroad particularly suitable?

If you are considering staying abroad after completing your studies or working for an internationally oriented company in Germany, this is the right choice. In addition, there is no Numerus Clausus (NC) abroad. So if you have to wait a long time for a study place due to the admission restrictions, it is also a good option.