Are the French considered Latin?
Why do the French call the earth “Terre”?
A French child asked where the name of the earth comes from. In French, earth means “Terre” and you can read about what this term is all about!
The question seemed very simple at first ... but even Pascal Dubois and Bernd Vollmer, two astronomers at the Strasbourg observatory, struggled to find a definitive answer when they got to the bottom of the question a little more closely.
One has to go back in time to understand the origins of the planet names. Since ancient times our planet has been regarded as the nurturing mother earth, it is also the only known place where life can flourish. Man has always tried to explain the world that surrounds him. And so, in view of the beliefs and knowledge of the time, the earth was regarded as a god or goddess. In Greece it was called Gaia or Ge, later with the Romans it was called Tellus or Terra Mater. Gaia is a goddess who is equated with the "mother goddess". According to the myth, she is the maternal ancestor of the gods. She is said to have given birth to Uranus (the sky), Pontos (the sea), Ourea (the mountains), but also numerous other beings such as the titans or the cyclops. At that time the cultivation of the earth as a source of food was in the foreground and there was a lack of knowledge about the nature of the planet. This explains the important position given to the deity of the earth.
French is a Romance language, it comes from the language of the Romans (Latin). Therefore the god names of the Romans still occur in today's French. Terra is none other than one of the Roman names of Gaïa, just like Tellus. That is why the French sometimes speak of telluric tremors (secousses telluriques) when they talk about earthquakes.
What would history have been if ancient humans had the necessary scientific advances and equipment to view the earth from the moon?
- Bob Dylan won a Pulitzer
- In the parliamentary debate, strategy, what a cover is
- Should I learn PowerShell before I learn Python
- What are examples of the Caribbean islands
- Why did Allama Iqbal go to Pakistan
- Are Arabs related to the Dravids
- Is the US doing better without TPP?
- Why is life so fragile
- How not to end a conversation
- Why did Denmark not introduce the euro?
- Which football position works the most
- Balochistan becomes independent
- What does an F2 4 aperture mean
- How important is Pakistan to America
- What is it like to live in Bordeaux
- Why does the position of the shadows change
- Has Air India started making a profit
- Can someone share roast mushroom recipe
- You can split payments on PayPal
- What is god knows in latin
- What does piracy mean to you
- What is the DNS cache
- What are the types of business buildings
- English is difficult for Chinese