UK Points Based Visa Programs

Regulations for youth exchanges with the UK

Entry in general

The agreement provides that short stays in the EU or the UK of up to 90 days within a period of 180 days are exempt from the visa requirement. A visa is required for longer stays. EU citizens can use an identity card or passport to enter the country until September 30th, 2021. From October 1st, 2021, with a few exceptions, entry for EU citizens will only be possible with a valid passport. (Source: Federal Foreign Office)

Check entry requirements via the Brexit checker

UK Government Visa and Entry Information Chart

In order to work or study in the UK, one must meet certain conditions as of January 1st, 2021. The UK government provides information on the new points-based immigration system on its website.

Permitted activities for "visitors"

AU Pair

EU citizens who started their au pair position before January 1st, 2021 must submit an application under the EU Settlement Scheme before June 30th, 2021. This enables them to legally complete the au pair work they have started. (Source: Federal Foreign Office)

The UK's points-based immigration system does not provide a specific path for au pairs, and no path was created as part of the new system that was introduced on January 1, 2021. Au pair activities are not included in the permitted activities for short-term visits. Au pairs are considered skilled workers (see 6122 'Childminders and related occupations') and are particularly subject to the point-based requirements for minimum earnings. The domestic workers route applies to people who have already worked for an employer elsewhere for a year and then accompany them to the UK for up to six months. (Information from the British Embassy Berlin)

Internships / studies

Internships are only allowed under very restricted conditions. From the point of view of the Federal Foreign Office, it seems as a rule that EU citizens no longer have been allowed to do a compulsory internship at a German university in the United Kingdom since 01.01.2021. If necessary, you can apply for a paid work visa ("Temporary Worker - Work experience or research and training program"). (Source: Federal Foreign Office)

Further study-related information is available from the British government at and the British Council at study uk.

The BMBF also provides information on the new regulations for international exchange in higher education and schools with the United Kingdom.

Entry with groups (short stays)

Children and young people from EU and EFTA countries as well as Switzerland can travel to the United Kingdom without a visa for stays (e.g. school trips, school exchanges) of up to six months. A visa must be applied for for stays of more than six months. (Sources: BMBF, GOV.UK)

Children and adolescents who do not have EEA or Swiss citizenship but live in these countries can continue to use the pupil collection list until September 30, 2021 (List of Travelers form) travel to the UK. From October 1st, 2021, you will need a passport as well as a visa to enter the country as part of a school group or other groups. (Sources: GOV.UK, UK German Connection)

[Concerns entry for UK groups into the EU: Since 01.01.2021, EU member states no longer have the option of accepting the collection list of a school excursion from a school in the UK as a travel document. Every pupil in a UK school is therefore required to have an individual travel document and, if necessary, a visa on a school trip to the EU. (Source: BMBF)]

Erasmus + and European Solidarity Corps / Voluntary Services

All projects with British partners that were approved through the EU programs Erasmus + YOUTH IN ACTION and European Solidarity Corps by the end of 2020 can be carried out as planned. This also applies if they are not implemented until 2021 or later. Visas are required to stay in the UK with the intention of doing voluntary service. The visa must be applied for at least three months before the start of the voluntary service; In addition to the visa costs, there is also a health surcharge. Voluntary services fall under the category of work visas for "Temporary Worker - Volunteer for a charity". A visa is not required for stays of up to six months under Erasmus +, unless it has already been required. The purpose of the stay is limited to participation in the activity, paid work may not be pursued. (Sources: GOV.UK, YOUTH for Europe, Momentum World CIC, WWOOF UK)

Volunteering that does not exceed 30 days in total and is for a charity registered with either the Charity Commission for England and Wales, the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland or the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator falls under this category "Permitted Activities for Visitors". However, the main reason for entering the UK must continue to be tourism. (Sources: GOV.UK, WWOOF UK)